“all our guests were so amazed by how stunning your venue is!”“I just wanted to say a huge thank you for everything over our wedding weekend! You couldn’t have been any more accommodating, and all our guests were so amazed by how stunning your venue is! The personal touches and your lovely, welcoming demeanour made the whole experience so much more wonderful for us!” Beth and Dan
Can we have exclusive use of the whole site?
Yes! Higher Holcombe hosts just a few weddings a year between spring and late summer – and you will have it all to yourselves!
What do the venue hire fees include?
- Use of the whole venue’s 30 acres and accommodation in the farmhouse, shepherds’ huts, Lotus Belle glamping tents and the quirky Hobbit House honeymoon hideaway
- Tables and seating for 80
- In house PA sound system and mic for speeches and your own plug-in play list
- Illuminated car parking facilities behind the orchard
- Illuminated disabled parking behind the Old Dairy
- Terrace furniture
- Bonfire ‘boma’ with logs and bench seats
- Use of fridges, a freezer and semi commercial kitchen
- Twinkling lights in the Old Dairy, uplighters for the largest oaks and weeping willow trees and festival-style festoon lighting
- DIY pick of foliage and flowers from the hedgerows, meadows and copses
- Use of basic jars and vases for table and venue decoration
- Rustic signage for your ‘order of the day’
- All utilities
- Support of the Higher Holcombe team to move furniture between the chosen ceremony space and reception area
- Parking assistance for guests arriving 1 hour before your ceremony
NB The venue hire makes a nominal charge for crockery and cutlery hire (if required)
How many people can have a sit-down meal?
Our maximum day-time capacity is 80 people.
What is the venue’s maximum capacity?
With evening guests, the maximum capacity is 100.
How can we book?
To secure a date we ask for a non-refundable deposit of £1000. The balance is payable 3 months before your wedding.
Are you registered for marriages and/or civil partnerships?
Yes. We are an approved venue by Devon County Council (DCC).
You can hold your ceremony and sign the legal documents anywhere at the venue. Couples usually choose either the willow cathedral, silver birch church or the celebration meadow stretch tent.
Do you offer extended stays?
Is there car parking available on site?
Yes. We have a ‘hard standing’ parking area behind the orchard and a disabled car parking area behind the Old Dairy.
Overflow parking is in one of the top fields.
Please car share wherever possible.
Vehicles are left at owners’ risk. Cars can be left overnight.
NB Holcombe Lane is narrow! Drive slowly and be prepared to reverse if you meet a farm vehicle with a trailer (unlikely at weekends).
Will someone from Higher Holcombe help us?
Yes! We will be there to support you with
- The arrival of caterers, entertainers, photographers etc;
- Health and Safety
- Parking guidance
- Moving furniture around before and after your ceremony
- Providing facilities for you to separate your waste for recycling
Can we decorate the venue ourselves?
Do you provide any decorations?
Can we forage for greenery?
What about signage?
Can our chosen photographer pay a visit before our big day?
Is confetti allowed?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Petals only please – dry or fresh as you choose.
Please don’t use rice (birds eat it and it makes their tummies swell uncomfortably) or glittery types (which are basically plastic – yuck)!
Can we have a bonfire?
Yes! We have a designated area within view of the Old Dairy that we call the ‘Bonfire Boma’. There are logs and benches to sit on and we’ll provide you with a bundle of wood to burn and keep you cosy through the wee hours. We have decorated the area with funky African masks.
No unaccompanied children by the bonfire please. Bring your own marshmallows. Don’t forget the bamboo sticks!
Can we play live music / have a DJ?
Can we have staging erected for our DJ/band?
Is there a PA we can use?
How about candles?
What about fireworks and lanterns?
Is there an outside chill-out place?
Is there a room that we can use as a quiet space?
Who will clean up?
At the start of the hire period everything will be lovely and clean, as you would expect! Your catering teams will be responsible for clearing away after your meal, including taking away food waste and any hired items.
Our cleaners will come in the morning after your main party to clean the Old Dairy and you will be responsible for clearing away your decorations and separating your waste for recycling. Anything that you bring to the site must be taken away afterwards.
At the end of the hire, please leave the venue clear and tidy. We will thoroughly clean; but, if unusual additional cleaning is required in excess of what we consider to be normal for such an event, we will deduct additional cleaning costs from your Cautionary Damage Deposit. This also applies if waste is not separated for recycling. Food waste must be disposed of by your caterers and bar services if booked.
“We loved everything about our Higher Holcombe wedding.”
Vicki and Tom
Food and Drink
Can we choose who does the catering for our wedding feast?
Can I have a Fish & Chip Van or an Ice Cream Van or similar?
Do you charge corkage?
Can we supply our own booze and drinks?
What about recycling?
How can we keep our drinks cold?
Do you have a bar?
Can we set up a gin bar in the woodland?
Can we use the willow cathedral as a prosecco welcome/ arrivals place?
Can we allow our guests to help themselves?
Do you supply china, glasses and cutlery?
“wedding of her dreams.”“Thank you for your help in making sure our daughter had the wedding of her dreams.” Nigel
Is any accommodation included in the venue hire?
Yes! Please see our accommodation page for more info.
Do we have to book all the accommodation?
Can anybody else stay?
What about smoking?
Can we bring our pets?
Is there a curfew?
Do you have a check list for us to use?
Yes. Here it is!
- 3 months before your event – final payment
- 4 weeks before – payment for any additional staff / support
- 7 days before – cautionary refundable damage deposit and kitchen deposit
- 7 days before – agents/suppliers list with contact information
- 7 days before – names and contact details of two people appointed to remain at the end of your party to ensure that all guests leave
7 days before – your plan for your day is also helpful to us. We can help you make signs, if you’d like, so that everyone knows what to expect (and where to expect it)!
“it really was the best day ever”
“Just wanted to say an enormous thank you again for everything you did to make our day so perfect. I’m sure every couple says this, but it really was the best day ever and we are so grateful for everything you did to make it happen!”
Lauren and Laurie xxx